Tuesday, December 29, 2009

On Reviews

What are reviews... we are haunted by these .. all our lives... its something to think about.

Blogging which I was procrastinating since a long time.. now is such an obsession.. that I want to put up a post everyday...

Anyway keeping up with my attention seeking behaviour (which means asking all my friends to read and review my blog), as usual I asked one of my very dear friends today what did she think of my blog.. How do I write.. How are my thoughts.. etc etc..

She very sweetly said rather advised.. that corporate organisations, who look for candidates and apparently many people (in my view big jerks) follow people online and use all the information available for some hidden agenda... In the case of the organisations, it’s to know more about the person online image. (I wonder why??) and some people the JERKS, to use this information for some advantage.. (which makes me wonder again)

This got me thinking... basically if someone is following you, through your blog, fb / orkut profile... they are reviewing you.. on your lifestyle, thoughts, feelings, social life etc etc.. they may not tell you much.. but everytime you change your relationship status, your status message someone is REVEIWING you!!!

Or to look at it in another perspective, WE are always putting ourself out there to be reviewed, all the about me sections... details on the movies / books / cuisines /political views blah blah..

SO WHY DO THESE REVIEWS MATTER SO MUCH..
Exams...
Job interviews...
Mocks at work..
Presentations..
Profile reviews...
Blog reviews....

I have seen many people and experienced myself ,to go crazy thinking what will be the person thinking about me. This is not what I should do... what will people say, think of me.. I can’t react like this, I am a Psychologist... O gosh!! And this can just go on....

Why the hell do I care.. or why should I care...

And now that I think of reviews.. I mostly remember my worst reviews... and I do get some good ones... but still ..

I think of what my neighbour said, when she saw me a short dress, or the face my so called friend made after I told her I am single... or what my ex boyfriend or his family thinks about me.. (no matter how much I gave in that relationship)

Why is it that we mostly believe, all the negative things people say about us, NO MATTER HOW MUCH EVIDENCE there is to the CONTRARY!!! A neighbour, a face made by a random friend, an ex boyfriend can cancel out everything about us, we thought was once true...

When it comes to life and love... WHY DO WE BELIEVE OUR WORST REVIEWS!!!

SO, My discovery about reviews...

The truth is that, at any given moment someone somewhere is reviewing you...(someone is commenting on your post, your profile, someone you looked at you when you passed by, someone who is talking about you, your work.. in a positive or a negative way) which really doesn’t matter.

Because the critic I am most afraid of is not anyone else but ME!!

So the reviews which really matter ARE THE REVIEWS WHICH YOU GIVE YOURSELF!!!

And ofcourse.. that is absolutely in your control...

And sometimes you get a RAVE REVIEW when it comes from someone, especially when you least expect it!!!

3 comments:

  1. As you said rightly, the most important review that you give yourself if what you think about your own self. About people.. they review you on the basis of their intelligence and experiance that keep changing day to day.. also about how good or bad you are to them irrespective of how good or bad you really are.. I would not deny that reviews affect us but how much importance we give them really needs sound thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. y is dat we mostly believe all the negative things dat pepal say about us, NO MATTER HAMACH EVIDENCE DER IS TO DE CONTRARY..... cudnt read beyond this line paar.... too true to be left behind to read ahead.... shall ponder for a while n get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Reflection...
    I am still scared of reviews..may be because " my own judgement matters less tome" / may be I dont love myself that much..yet I dont stop proving myself to others...ya I loved the thought behind reviewing onself...let me be the judge of myself
    P.S : nice topic

    ReplyDelete